MAZON Canada is the national Jewish response to hunger. On behalf of our Jewish community of Canada, we grant funds to front-line food projects like food banks, school lunch programs, hot meals at shelters, and more. We support both Jewish and non-Jewish programs that provide food for food-insecure people.
TO APPLY YOU MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
run food programming that mostly serves food-insecure people
request funds only for the purchase of food (not salary, rent, equipment, etc.)
be incorporated with the CRA as either a Charity, a Not for Profit, a Registered Cooperation OR maintain a "flow-through" partnership with an organization incorporated as one of the above.
When making funding decisions between qualified applicants,
WE PRIORITIZE ORGANIZATIONS THAT:
• Are small and in need
• Have a lot of volunteers
• Operate in rural localities, in a nutrition north catchment area, or are one of the few sources of food aid in their community.
• Support specific marginalized and/or highly vulnerable populations
• Promote sustainability through food rescue operations
• Help clients in other ways besides giving them food
• Maintain decision-making structures that are accountable to clients.
• Have leadership that share lived experience with clients, or are themselves former clients.
• Give clients support ending their food insecurity (helping them secure access to permanent housing, employment, EI, etc)
We do not prioritize Jewish organizations over non-Jewish organizations.
If your application is successful, the minimum grant amount you will receive is $2,000.
For most applicants, the maximum amount you can apply for is $5,000 (see below for exceptions).
In 2021, the average grant in this category was around $3,100. We are anticipating a similar average this year.
As mentioned above, larger organizations may request up to $12,000.
To be eligible for this increased amount, applicants must meet these criteria:
• you are an umbrella organization (for example: a large food rescue organization that distributes to many food banks, or a school food project that supports many schools)
• you have a total annual budget over $1 million.
If you are not sure which category you fall in, please contact us.
If you meet these criteria: